Pages

Sunday 18 May 2014

The Dubbing Nightmare

The Dubbing Nightmare

After being forced to sit through The Wolf of Wall Street in French a few days ago I have to vent my spleen here!

All expats all over the world will know exactly what I'm talking about here! Dubbed films are, well, how do I put this ... excruciating! You can see what they're saying but you've got some stupid voice talking in a different language and half of the time not even saying the same thing! It's enough to make your brain explode!

Luckily a lot of the programmes and films on French freeview, you can switch to listen in VO (original version) and a wonderful piece of software is available called Expat Shield that you download and then can have access to iplayer etc. In our house Tiana and I watch everything in VO when possible, Badara watches the films upstairs in French and we only watch documentaries together!

If you're not an expat and want an idea of what I'm talking about, we all know and love Jack Nicholson's voice. It must be one of the most famous in the world. Have a listen to this ridiculous voice they've given him in French then you'll understand my pain!


No comments:

Post a Comment